At Home Soil Structure Test.
Check your numbers with this key to determine your soil texture:
• Dirt vs. Soil
• Soil Structure Video (includes farming practices)
• The Science of Soil 30 page lesson plan download.
• K-12 Soil Science for Teachers including quick Powerpoints on:
• See the importance of soil porosity with Dirt Investigations.
• Make an Aquifier.
• Just Passing Through: Soil and Water Relationships with PH Testing
• Make kinetic sand and create a landscape to show the effects of water on land formation and erosion. More recipes here and here. Augmented Reality Sandbox topographical map here.
Extensions: Test difference soil parts by separating materials between identical bottles and timing how long it takes water to pass through. Make a bar graph of different levels of clarity in filtered water. Discuss lead in water and the effect in Flint, MI.
Deep Look: Sand video.
Soil Structure video. (Pre-K-2)
Soil and Nature Systems video. (3-6)
Tilling and Bees: https://ucanr.edu/squash_bees/